20 Qualities of a Good Mom
I started thinking about the things that make us moms, and the very unique qualities we must possess to be great moms. As we know, life changes a lot when we have kids, and we change ... yet we still are the same person. It's a fascinating and beautiful journey we take to parenthood, and along the way we learn so much, not just about our kids, but ourselves.
I asked the moms I knew to share the qualities they feel makes a good mom. They told it like it is -- here is what makes us awesome.
- Always offering your love. Gives lots of hugs.
- Trying to see things from your kid's point of view. Asking their opinion whenever it's possible or appropriate.
- Patience. And then more patience on top of that.
- Setting boundaries, lest you end up with little monsters who walk all over you.
- Giving unconditional love.
- Having one on one time with each kid. If you have one child, making sure you have solo time with that child, too.
- Learning that discipline is a good thing -- gentle non violent discipline. When you say no, mean it. That way, you're not raising brats.
- When you bring a new life into the world, they should be your top priority, and know it. It's a great way to raise up a strong, self-assured, confident person.
- Be their parent, not their friend, for the first 18 years or so. Then you'll be their best friend for the rest of your lives when they hit about 20 and suddenly get what you did for them. It's pretty awesome.
- Be willing to get peed, pooped, and vomited upon.
- Having a sense of humor.
- Making sure you always do the best you can, admit when you're not, learn to do better, and follow through.
- Being able to survive harsh conditions. All kinds of harsh conditions.
- Relaxing a little.
- Not freaking out about doing things perfectly or according to what everyone else says.