Sports Mama Tip: Youth Sports Photography Basics
Let me first start off by saying that I am by NO means a professional. I'm just a mama who likes taking pictures of her kids... especially when they're playing sports. And seriously, when aren't they playing sports?! In fact, I'm known to post photos on Instagram with the hash tag "Mamarazzi". Ha. True story!
Here are some of my best tips for photographing your athlete:
- Invest in a good camera. Cell phone cameras just do not compare to DSLRs. Period. I currently shoot with a Canon T3i. If you can invest in a longer range lens, even better. Especially when you're shooting from the stands!
- Use a fast shutter speed. I wish I could shoot in manual, but I'm just not there yet. I shoot in Sports Mode. It selects the shutter speed, auto focuses, and takes continuous shots. This ensures that you get many pictures of each and every play.
- Get up close to the action. Obviously not all sports will allow you to do this, but when you can, do it. The closer you are, the more personal the story. Facial expressions are everything!
- Know the game. Will the players be running towards you, or away from you? Will they switch sides at halftime? Knowing and anticipating what will happen next are crucial.
- Photograph the entire story. Don't forget to snap pictures of them warming up, taking a water break, tying their shoes, high fiving their teammates after a great play, walking off the field or court post victory (or loss!). Photographing the fans is also something that I like to do. Their faces tell some of the best stories!
- Take a ton of pictures. Hundreds, heck, even thousands. The more the better! This is probably my number one tip... especially for amateurs like myself. You're bound to get at least one amazing shot.
- Practice makes perfect. Don't get discouraged if you don't get it right the first time. Just shoot, shoot, shoot. Your player (and their team!) will thank you later. I promise!
I hope you found these tips helpful.
Click away, mamas. Get your mamarazzi on!
PS. Whether you browse our site once a month or every day, we’re always glad to have you. And we want you to enjoy Rewards. Just sign up, complete a few fun actions and you’ll earn Coins. Coins add up to Rewards and Rewards convert into big discounts for you and your child! Click here to Join the Loyalty Club!
Also in Soccer Moms
Children should be at least six years of age before they begin team sports.